Thursday, January 9, 2014

#tvpost - 5 returning TV shows 2014 for TV lovers and English students

My nickname should be square eyes.

I love TV. A lot. I don't know why, but I do. 
I know I should be banging on about how great cinema has been in the past year and how much I love the experience of going etc. etc. (and paying a fortune) but nothing compares to curling up on my couch and watching that episode I've been itching for for the last 6 days. Maybe that's just me?

(I think I should state here that I am a sociable person and I do leave the house... occasionally...)

As an English teacher my students ask me a lot about which TV series they should watch, especially British ones, to improve their English but, also, to get a feel for a different culture. As I grabbed my pen and paper and began  racking my brain for recent programs, I realised that I'd forgotten just how good some of them actually were. Even better, after a spot of 'Googling' (not sure that word exists), I discovered a handful of them are returning to our small screens this year... 2014 has never looked better.

So, here goes a little list of programs that are well worth a watch... If you're an English speaker or not. Some are British, an American and even a French.

Sherlock (BBC ONE)
Series 3 January 2014

I know, it's already started (and two episodes in) but I didn't want any English students missing this.
It's British, story of Detective Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson, it involves a lot of Benedict Cumberbatch and there's a new villian. 
Only downside... there's only three episodes. My sister says that this ain't no biggie but three episodes hardly seems fair.


Broadchurch (ITV)
Series 2 Winter 2014

I was late on the Broadchurch bandwagon but better late than never. A small town murder, a classic case of who done it? and some British acting to be proud of... and that's about all we know except that David Tennant might not be returning due to filming of the American remake.


The Fall (BBC TWO)
Series 2 Winter 2014

A bit slow at first glance but stick with it. 
A serial killer on the loose, creepy acting and a cliffhanger to continue.


The Returned (Les Revenants)
Series 2 Winter 2014

A slow burner which finished it's first series with more questions than answers; however, there's nothing like it at the minute. 
Twin Peaks eeriness and a beautiful cast.


GIRLS
Season 3 January 2014

Lena Dunham, Judd Apatow... need I say more?
Down to earth, feel good, genuinely hilarious and I really do think boys will love it as much as girls.


These are my top 5 but there's plenty to see...

The Americans (a must see)
Orange is the New Black
The Walking Dead (mid-season break)
Doctor Who
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
Parks and Recreation

1 comment:

  1. I love TV too, but there's so many great dramas and series now that I don't think it deserves it's bad, trashy rep any more! I've actually missed out on most of the things you've listed which I'm a bit gutted about because they all sound great. I think my favourite is Boardwalk Empire xxx

    ReplyDelete